Windows Server 2016 Standard 16 Core
Includes 24 hour tech support
The Microsoft Windows Server 2016 Standard edition has come a long way regarding features. This version has more enhanced features compared to its predecessors: the Windows Server 2008 R2 and the Windows Server 2012 R2. Although there are no bigger and newer features involved, it is a significant upgrade of the original features.
Improved Performance and Scalability
The 2016 server operating system has up to 6 times larger memory support or up to 24 Terabyte per physical server. This is bigger than the 4 Terabyte per physical server of host memory support from the previous versions of the Microsoft Windows Server. Also, the old 320 logical processor support is now up to 512.
From the 1 Terabyte of virtual machine memory support, the Windows Server 2016 now has up to 12 Terabyte per virtual machine. It also has an increase in virtual machine virtual processor support from 64 VPs to 240 VPs. These improved functions provide an increased performance and scalability to the new server OS.
Increased Security Feature
Security functions that were not supported in the previous Windows Server versions is now fully backed up in the Windows Server 2016 Standard Edition. These features include the Shielded Virtual Machines, Credential Guard, Device Guard, Remote credential Guard, Control Flow Guard.
It also fully supports security functions like Windows Defender, Enhanced threat detection, and AppLocker that has only limited support for the previous server OS versions.
The Compute function of the data centers is also improved. It comes with features that is already fully supported in the Windows Server 2016 from the non-supported to limited support in the previous versions. This includes the Cluster OS Rolling Update, Linux and FreeBSD workloads, RDS RemoteFX vGPU, Server management tools, Nano Server installation option, and the VM Loading Balancing.
The Software Load Balancer function in networking for data centers of the previous Windows Server 2012 R2 only has limited support. However, it comes fully supported now with the Windows Server 2016.
Networking functions that are also fully supported for the new server operating system include the Network Controller and the Micro segmentation.
Storage features such as the Storage Quality of Service, Data deduplication, and Scale-Out File Server has limited support for the 2012 server OS. This function now comes fully supported in Windows Server 2016.
It also offers full support to storage features such as VM Storage Resiliency, Persistent Memory for the maximum Application performance, Storage Replica, Storage health monitoring, and the Storage Spaces Direct.
Cloud Optimized Application Platform
Features that make an improved cloud-optimized application platform are also fully supported with the new Windows Server 2016 Standard Edition. This includes the Windows Server containers and the Hyper-V containers.
The following are system requirements for installing the Microsoft Windows Server 2016 Standard Edition. These requirements also apply to the three different installation options.
- 1.4 Gigahertz 64-bit processor
- X64 instruction set compatible
- Supports DEP and NX
- Supports the Second Level Address Translation (NPT or EPT)
- Supports LAHF/SAHF, CMPXCHG16b, and PrefetchW
- 512 Megabyte or 2 Gigabyte for the Server that has Desktop Experience installation option
- Error Correcting Code (ECC) technology or similar technology type
Disk Space and Storage Controller Requirement:
- Minimum of 32 Gigabyte disk space
- Extra disk space for when installing the server operating system over a network
- Extra disk space for systems with more than 16 Gigabyte (GB) of RAM for paging, hibernation, and the dump files.
Network Adapter Requirements:
- Ethernet Adapter cable with at least 1 Gigabyte throughput
- PXE or Preboot Execution Environment
- Compliant with PCI Express architecture specification
Other System Requirements (for running certain features):
- DVD drive (for installing the server operating system from a DVD media)
- Graphics device and monitor capable: Super VGA (1024 x 768) screen resolution or higher
- UEFI 2.3.1c-based system and firmware secure boot support
- TPM or Trusted Platform Module (for using BitLocker Drive Encryption)
- Internet Access
- Microsoft keyboard and mouse or any other compatible pointing device